Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Windows XP To Be Supported To 2010

While this may not seem to fall in my normal category of security, it really does. Microsoft may be done with Windows XP and I realize its 8 years old, however many of us have several years left in our "newer" computers that simply won't run Windows Vista or the new Windows 7 slated to ship in 2010.

I don't know about you but I am not ready to run out and get a new computer just because Microsoft wanted a new operating system.

I think we as consumers have every right to the service packs and security fixes without having to purchase a new product.
Most users have propreitary computers that shipped with the orginal XP or SP1. If a restore is necessary, and it will be... they are not safe. Windows has to many bugs and security holes.

Maybe Microsoft ought to offer a complete service pack download before it pulls the plug on XP for good.

You tell me...

2 comments:

  1. While Windows isn't all that secure with service packs its still better then nothing. I don't like the choices either. I bought my HP 2 years ago and it came with XP Home. The computer runs great but it won't run Windows Vista. I don't have the money to run out and buy a new computer. Not to mention Windows Vista is awful.
    If Microsoft was going to drop XP and I'm sure that was decided long before Vista even shipped they shouldn't have allowed computer manufacturers to sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased a Dell just last year with XP Home. Dell advised me I could upgrade to Windows Vista with some upgrade program Microsoft offers, but everyone I know hates Vista. Is it really that bad?

    ReplyDelete