Tuesday, May 12, 2009

60% Of Computer Users Still Use Windows XP

It is estimated that over 60% of us still use Windows XP.

Microsoft ended Mainstream support for Windows XP in April 2009.
This means customers will no longer receive complimentary support, be able to request design changes, and other kinds of updates for the product, but it doesn't mean we can't contiune to use it.

XP is still available for purchase at some online retailers. I have downgraded many clients machines from Windows Vista to Windows XP HOME and PRO alike in the last 6 months.
All of our office machines and home machines still use XP and will continue to do so.

As for those who like Windows Vista, more power to you. I truly gave that operating system a chance and it failed miserably. Not to mention having to upgrade hardware and purchase all new programs just to conduct my business.

Microsoft will offer customer extended support until 2014. This will include security updates and paid customer supportuntil April 2014.

I for one am glad to hear this. I understand that XP is well past its prime as far as Microsoft is concerned. 8 years is a longtime for an operating system to be around. However if my choice is Windows Vista over XP there is no contest. I'd run XP without patches and security updates for the stability and compatibility alone.
Maybe Microsoft can convince us Windows 7 will be the New XP (a reliable operating system with good compatibility) but I'll reserve my opinion on that for now.

1 comment:

  1. With Windows 7 coming out in October 2009 I wonder if Microsoft won't cut support for Windows XP sooner than expected. I'm not looking forward to changing my operating system but seems we won't have a choice soon enough.

    ReplyDelete