Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bad Symantec update leads to trouble for users

Hackers took advantage of a Symantec issue today to flood search engines with more troublesome redirection to rouge anti-virus sites. Apparently Symantec periodically sends its users PIFTS known as Product Information Framework Troubleshooter which is a diagnostic program that anonymously collects information such as the operating system and version number of the product being used in order to get a snapshot of its user base. This time however the file wasn't digitally signed cauing many firewalls to flag it, including Symantec's own firewall.

So my advice for the time being. Don't install PIFTS.exe. If you visit a website and are advised your computer is infected, CTRL, ALT, DEL and end task on your browser process. Then run a good anti-virus software and anti-spyware program like Avast and Malwarebytes.



1 comment:

  1. I have found when it comes to Nortons its all trouble for users. It came with my new computer last year and I didn't want to buy it. After it expired it would give me a nag screen and kept my computer almost useless. Trying to remove it was a joke. I had to take my computer to my repair guy to get it out.

    ReplyDelete